Day 3 – challenges…

A while ago I mentioned that we were holding a challenge at Riverwalk Quilters guild. We had a “Clue” theme with participants each given a person and a place to portray in their quilt. I had Mrs Peacock (Blue), in the barn… the challenge was given in July 2010 so we all had plenty of time to produce a piece but doesn’t that really just mean we had lots of time to procrastinate? By working hard on my return from California I did manage to get my entry in on the correct date. It’s log cabins in a barn raising setting made with peacock feather fabric around peacock blue silk center squares…I found a pillow panel with a large peacock printed on it for the back and quilted from the reverse side. It was fine, well made, nicely quilted but not exactly stunning so I wasn’t exactly surprised not to receive any prizes on judging night. The winners deserved their recognition and I am slowly learning to cope with the rejection…

Anyway, I took the little quilt to my friend Carol’s house for our needlework group and she loved it! She had just bought a new teapot and it looked right at home on top of my quilt. So that’s where it’s staying. I’m so glad it found its place and made someone happy.

 

It was once again time for a Quilter and Child class at Pieceful Heart fabrics. We used Alex Anderson’s book Kids start Quilting to make a split rail quilt top. It was a lot of sewing but here are the finished tops…

Four girls and their grandmas took the class… I think they all went home smiling!

 

Then we had a Fabric Flower Bowl class using the pattern from Embellishment village. I made a new sample and a co-ordinating leaf from another pattern. They look good together. I have picked out fabric and threads for a few more…

In between I made a few samples. Here’s a Celebrate banner,

and January from the Nancy Halvorsen Count On It series, (only 3 more to go now).

 

Now to finish today’s posting we have another challenge. This one was for Fiber Divas entitled Underfoot. When Julia showed me the baby book she had put together for Benjamin I knew I had found what I was looking for… She scanned and resized the prints that the hospital had made of Benjamin’s feet and after printing them on fabric I just fused them to a piece of hand dyed  fabric and quilted away… and we have Under Feet. Much less pressure, no prizes, no ribbons, just mutual admiration…

 

Now it’s time for a new class catalog at Pieceful Heart so more news will follow… (soon I hope)

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply