The cold weather continues.
Yesterday was another good day to stay home. Four brave souls in my quilt bee, the Sew and Tells, came over for a couple of hours in the afternoon which was fun, but that still left plenty of time for quilting the friendship star quilt I had pieced back in December.
I stitched the binding in the evening while catching up on some of our recorded shows and took some pictures this morning.
I’m getting a few holes in the wall next to the door from pinning my quilts there.
I’m going to have to find a new place once James has repainted?
I used several different whites/creams for the background and spent a happy hour or so playing with different arrangements before settling on the one I stitched together.
The top sat for a while until I had decided on the quilting. In the end I went with free motion stitching the names of my Facebook friends starting at the edges and working my way into the middle. A modern form of friendship for a modern quilt?
I used a beige 50 weight thread from Aurifil, just a shade darker than the lightest neutrals and a shade lighter than the darker ones to pull it all together. I had to loosen the top tension on my machine to handle all the loopy stitching and it used three bobbin worths of thread even on my Bernina 820 sized bobbins…
Inspired by a picture on Pinterest, which I tracked back to Camille Roskelley at Simplify, I made a special block for the back using eight more colors from the Modern Solids box.
Camille has a pattern (round and round) available for a whole quilt of these blocks but I just wanted one!
I think I will call my quilt Modern Friends. If you are my friend on Facebook, then be sure, your name is on there somewhere!